September 16, 2008

5130: Twitter

Twitter. The site says it is “is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?.”

It is pretty easy to add in an update and see what somebody else is up to, but it almost seems too simple. After using other social networking sites and checking out programs like Facebook and MySpace, I think Twitter might not have enough. Enough what? Enough ways to talk to people and share ideas, pictures, and personalities. I like to be able to see who this person is and what they are interested in besides reading a quick update that they are watching TV. Would this have a possibility as a learning tool? I can see how it might be useful to sign up and have a whole class also sign up so if they had quick questions about an assignment, they could ask and get a quick response. But that would involve making sure to log in consistently and check messages outside of regular means such as email or the eCollege shell or Blackboard, whatever the class may use. So overall, while I do think Twitter is cool and has some neat uses, I don’t see it as something I would use longterm.

1 comment:

Instructional Design Resources for eLearning said...

Chad, although I have only used twitter for a few weeks, I disagree that it has a short-life-span. The cool thing about Twitter is that it is concise and it bridges people together very fast and easily. I am using Twitter to stay connected to the class both via twitter and via text messaging. It's pretty cool to receive and respond to twits while in the grocery line!

Kerry