October 9, 2008

5130: More Slide:ology

I just finished the 2nd section of reading in Slide:ology, and while I thought there were some great ideas and still enjoyed the book, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed...maybe a lot overwhelmed. The concepts in the book seem so simple, but I have a tough time knowing where to start and how to change my presentations. I am mostly referring to our Presentation Prowess project for IT-5130. I have an idea of what I want to do and how I want to progress from Point A to Point B by getting people emotionally involved and leading them to have an attitude change. The problem is, I don't know if what I have put together so far is all that good or if it is just another boring presentation. I am trying to use the different concepts from the book and from what we have discussed in class. I just don't know if I am using them right or effectively. I spent a lot of time watching the example slideshows, and I think I was able to take a few ideas away (like using whitespace, different placement of font and font sizes for effect, different types of pictures and word/thought bubbles). I suppose I came here more to vent than to summarize what I have read. I think I'll head back to the drawing board and work up some more ideas. After all, Nancy Duarte says that it's important to come up with many many ideas and go from there. I just hope I can use all that I'm learning and make a great presentation.

No comments: