It seemed a little tedious to work through, but there were some good points to be had. The thing that stood out most was that the researchers said in comparing distance education (DE) to classroom instruction, in all the studies they looked at there were some cases where DE was much preferred and some cases were it was not preferred at all. I think when reading this in a class on Policies and Planning for eLearning Programs, it is important to remember that sometimes eLearning is the right tool and maybe sometimes it would not be. There has to be a clear problem and goal that one can present to the organization to support the need for eLearning.
I thought it was interesting that while the differences were not huge, there were cases where asynchronous learning was significantly preferred to classroom instruction over synchronous DE. The researchers did find that there was less retention (dropping out of the class) for synchronous but thought that may have had to do with group affiliation and social pressure. So it may be useful to incorporate some sort of group work or social interaction into asynchronous learning to help retain students.
There were a few other important points I noted:
- "Attention to quality course design should take precedence over attention to the characteristics of the media." (p.411)
- "...some degree of collaboration among students appears to foster better achievement and attitude outcomes in asynchronous DE." (p.411)
- "DE should not be a solitary experience." (p.412)
- "...student/instructor and student/student communication are important... We encourage practitioners to build more of these two elements into DE courses and into classroom experiences as well." (p.412)
- "...the design of interactivity around learning materials might focus on notions derived from cognitive psychology, including sociocognitive and constructivist principles of learning..." (p.413)
Another big point they made was that planning and design pay off. It is vital to spend the time making sure the eLearning program is appropriate and needed, that it is designed well to meet the needs of the organization and the learners, and to be prepared for things that may come up during the implementation of eLearning. I think this is something we have learned a lot about during the 1st year of the Masters program, but I am sure it is something we will cover much more in depth in this class.
5 comments:
Chad, I feel bad being the first person to leave a comment on your blog - like I'm messing it up. Forgive me.
Let me start by commending you on all that you got out of the Meta-analysis article. I got too bogged down in the methodology of the study. I actually got more out of your summary than my own reading of the article! I love your take away lessons. They center on the importance of communication, peer to peer and student to instructor. This is so important in eLearning environments where feeling isolated is a real challenge. I'm thankful that so many of our professors have taken the time to create eLearning environments where interactions are encouraged. It is good modeling. I would like to hear the story behind the implementation of our cohort program some time. That might provide us with a real life case study. Thanks for sharing your thoughtful analysis with me.
Chad,
Great summary Chad, I liked your comment; "I think when reading this in a class on Policies and Planning for eLearning Programs, it is important to remember that sometimes eLearning is the right tool and maybe sometimes it would not be. There has to be a clear problem and goal that one can present to the organization to support the need for eLearning."
This is so true there are some instances where you wouldn't want to rely solely on the computer. Such as a woodshop teacher, I could learn about a circular saw online, but I would like an instructor standing next to me the first time I actually use one.
Chad,
Reading the RSS article is on my plate for tomorrow. Yes, I'm struggling with the reading assignments. It's nice to know someone else has mastered the technology. It gives me hope! ;-)
And I agree with Sheri. Your summaries of our reading assignments has given me more confidence. I read an article and think I might have an understanding of the message, but I'll doubt myself.
Then, I run across your take of the same material (and those of our fellow students) and I realize I'm not too far off the mark.
Reading your blog and those of the other students help crystalize the thoughts in my head.
Thanks again for your encouragement!
Chad, I find the cognitive psychology side so interesting. It's amazing that our brain goes through all of the internal mental processes when we try to solve problems and remember something. I've started to lean toward a combo of cognitivism and constructivism when I design courses.
It seems in the such a long document the main point is clear as both you and Carmella blogged about the same thing....make sure the medium used for teaching truly fits the subject matter and audience.
Post a Comment