September 16, 2007

Discussion Summary from Week 4

The discussion for Week 4 began with our group questioning the difference between philosophies and theories. It seemed a little unclear in our reading, but I feel that as a group we did a good job of coming up with good definitions and a basis for our discussion. After that it became more about whether anyone has to teach using a different philosophy while teaching or if we ever change our philosophies or adjust the class design to fit our personal beliefs. And finally we were discussing the use of new technology in schools, such as ipods and cell phones, for learning purposes. There was some interesting insight as to whether one’s philosophies changed or if one particular person may have a philosophy that is made up of a blend of different ideas that may not necessarily coincide with what our text has categorized.

My best contribution to the discussion was a post answering Jodi’s question of, “Does anyone have an experience where you intentionally chose a strategy for instruction that contradicts your philosophy of teaching/learning? If so, what happened?” I answered with an example about a class I am teaching for a colleague who uses a different style. In order to keep the class consistent for all of the students, I try to use the same techniques he does. I think this was my best contribution because it was a personal example used to answer the question of another classmate. And it helped segue the discussion into the next part, about whether we ever have to change our philosophies. In the example I used, I did not change my philosophy but structure my teaching towards someone else’s philosophy. This may be necessary in certain situations one may come across this conflict in designing eLearning, having to choose to teach to someone else’s philosophies or adjusting one’s own to complete the goals of the education.

I feel like another important part of my contribution was the answering of one question and asking another to keep the discussion moving. It did not generate many responses in the same thread, but I still feel like asking new questions helps us keep thinking about the topic and generate further insights together. This week’s discussion was very interesting and a good one to be involved in as it seemed to be setting up the framework for our learning about designing eLearning.




No comments: